Thursday, September 23, 2010

starry night

This picture is a realistic landscape that is done in oil on a canvas. The subject matter of this painting includes a sky filled with stars, a crescent moon, rolling hills, a big curvy figure, and a little neighborhood in a valley. This whole painting is made of cool blues and greens except for the stars and the moon, which are bright yellows and oranges. Because of this, the colors stand out and compliment each other well.

The reason I chose this painting because it makes me feel like I'm in a cool summer's night with serenity. I love the way the sky rolls and even though the colors are streaky, they still blend together. Because this is how I feel about the sky, the moon is my favorite part of this painting. I think Van Gogh created this painting to remind him of the outside while is was in the asylum at Saint- Remy.

No comments:

Post a Comment