Saturday, November 27, 2010

Orchestra

Recently I went with my little sister to the New York Public library of the Performing Arts to watch a classical music performance. I figured it would be good to show her that kind of music. I did not know what to expect but I was looking forward to this different experience and was open to the idea of this different music for my sister and I. When we arrived we found the auditorium easily and saw that all the people in there were mostly adults and seniors. It felt strange to be there with my seven year old sister. We found seats close to the front and waited. Already it felt very different from what I have ever experienced. Soon four musicians came out and began to play their instuments, the violin, the cello, flute, and piano. The music began very smooth and slow. It was very beautiful and relaxing music. The music sounded like it was telling a story that I had to narrate. I told my sister to squeeze my hands when the music got tense and to loosen it when it was soft and relaxed and to remember what instruments were making that effect so she could get more out of it and not be completely bored. She paid attention and I was truly surprised at how much more concentrated and interested she was in the music. Once the concert was over and we left, we spoke about how different and interesting that was. Not that we would ever attend something like that again, but nevertheless, it was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment