Friday, November 26, 2010

Saying No: Part II

A few weeks ago (whenever I posted that entry) I mentioned of how I say yes too much and help people a lot. My good friend (and other people too) said I should say no a lot more, because most people will not care if I say no and they will just find another person to do the work or actually do it themselves. From then on, it is much easier for me to ignore people and say no in an indirect matter - I mean it's not a full straight "NO" as I think that would be rude, but it is something to get people almost constantly off my back. My theory as to why I have this "Can't Say No" complex is probably because I am very good at placing myself in other peoples shoes, and I notice their pain at times which I want to help stop. By providing them with all this help, I think of it as a a way to reduce theirs and kind of my personal gift to them. However, as with anything, there is much opportunity for abuse of the system, which is what has happened with me. I mean, I know when people are trying to take advantage of me and for them, I give a straight out flat "No" but when people seem to genuinely need it, and for multiple times, it is harder to see so you kind of just keep saying "yes". This is not acceptable either, but I am getting better at doing the simple act of saying at least an indirect no.

No comments:

Post a Comment