Thursday, December 2, 2010

Aaron D. Neufeld

Aaron D. Neufeld- BLOG #38- ‘Sunset’

Everything today is digital. Everyone today relies on technology. I’m serious. Unless you’re Amish, it is almost impossible for the average American person to go about their daily lives without being able to access one form of technology or another. Every time there is a blackout, my family becomes bored almost instantly, not knowing what to do with themselves. My parents cannot access their business websites or connect with their work systems, leaving them without an activity. My brother can’t play X-Box or download music to his iPod, and I can’t access facebook on my Mac book. We’re all left in the dark and find we don’t know what to do with ourselves.

I have found that an escape from all the technology is nice sometimes. I am an observant Jew, which means that for 25 hours a week, while upholding my Sabbath, I am not allowed to touch electronics. This means no computers, TV, or even lights! Sounds tough, but it actually is way more relaxing than you could imagine! Every Saturday, my eyes get good rest from staring at the brightly lit computer screens of my weekly life. I am able to read books, and go for walks outside to enjoy the fresh air.

A few months ago, I began walking to a local park on the evenings of my Sabbath, where I would watch the sun set. I realized how beautiful it was and wished I could take photos of it, but because I couldn’t, I could actually enjoy every second of it even more. It was incredibly soothing, giving me good time to just reflect on life, sit back, and relax, sometimes alone and sometimes with friends. I began trying to visit the park for sunset on a daily basis whenever I am home, even during the week, simply escaping from the digital world for just a short time, to enjoy the real world we live in—and it’s truly more incredible than any of our technology could ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment