Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Big Other.

Everything lately is always being documented. If you google my name, the search engine automatically fills in "Allison Sekur...senior, levittown." The first google page shows my twitter page, people that I follow on twitter, the list of AP scholars I was on, the list of my graduating class and even my posts on this blog. There's even a terrible song now by a dumb housewife called "Google Me." All you have to do is google someone and you can find out so much information about them. It's disturbing really. I keep most of my information private, my entire facebook page is blocked, my twitter is blocked and so is my personal blog. All it takes is one hacker though to hack my stuff and publicize everything. I could be entirely wrong with this big other thing and may have missed what the professor was getting at, but I feel like it's the internet and the mass communications of everything. Also really super creepy, if you just type my last name into google, the second link listed is my facebook page.

I just feel like with all of the new technology that's being developed, privacy becomes less important and everything is out there for everyone to know. I don't like the idea of someone putting my address into google maps and being able to see my house and street. I mean, if someone was that curious they could always literally come and see it anyways, but still, it's just so unnecessary for it to even be out there in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment