Thursday, November 4, 2010

Design

What is true design? Well, as a graphic designer, I ask myself, what is amateur and childish and what is considered art and professional. In my opinion, art is anything creative and different from the norm. I feel that in order to create new or true art is to take existing art and combining it in different forms or completely drafting a new design. Most people think taking existing art and changing it slightly is copying but I see it as innovation. The simplest change of applying a dropshadow to create dimension as opposed to a flat layers in photoshop is distinct and creative. Speaking of which, If you have photoshop and know how to use shapes, brushes and blending options but don't understand how to utilize its potential, you are not a designer. It furiates me to see crappy designs such as glittery gifs, crappy signatures, poorly edited pictures and then calling yourself a designer. It demeans the job and makes you look like, and excuse my language, an asshole. Thats my 2 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment