Sunday, September 19, 2010

Shivers

Its 6:20 pm, and I have been sitting in the Library for a little more than an hour now.
Im wearing a thin cardigan, with a flow-y tank-top, jean shorts and flip flops.
The temperature outside is 71 degrees Fahrenheit and the sky is partially cloudy with warm sun peeking from the corners of random clouds.

But right now, I'm freezing, and its shaking me to the very core of my body.
Ever few minutes or so, a shiver runs up my spine and I want to cocoon myself in my soft, fuzzy comforter. But that's not why I'm writing this.

Have you ever watched a movie, or a T.V. series, or a play, or listened to the lyrics of a song that sent shivers run through your spine, as if the temperature just dropped to 32 degrees Fahrenheit? Have you ever watched or listened to something that made your heart race in a matter of seconds or made you feel dread and anguish at such an intense level that you forget, nothing is real?

That is the very power of words. So many people underestimate the affect of the combination of words and punctuation on our emotions. And the sequence that the words and punctuations are put in intensifies the emotion.

Writers have so much power and control of the story that they write or the dialogues that they write. With just a few simple words, they create love, anger, trust, distrust, happiness, sadness, tension. They hold the power to manipulate their characters or the emotion or the situation of the story.

But of course, with power comes responsibility. Or at least some consideration to their reader. Our minds allows imagination to run faster than we can keep up with, and our imagination soon becomes reality, in our minds at least, if we allow it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment