Monday, September 27, 2010

Most need, most forbidden


In humanity class, my professor talked about the idea of what we most need is actually what is most forbidden.
For example, when we are born, what we need most is mother’s care and love - even after we grow up. But love with one’s mother also can be the most forbidden thing (as we saw in Oedipus). Maybe this example was too extreme to explain it, but we can easily find something that we desire is forbidden in our daily life.
Or sometimes, we become curious about something because they are forbidden. If someone tells you not to, you desire it more like when we were in high schools. I think these are human nature.
So I think that Oedipus’s tragedy is caused by this characteristic of human being. As I said before, this story is kind of extreme, but what I want to say is, this kind of thing really exists in our daily life. What we most need is what is most forbidden to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment