Thursday, September 16, 2010

Turn to our fathers

Today I encountered a usual trouble with my bank account. I already knew that my parents were going to send me money but it was frustrating to see my balance inquiry saying “$10,000”. I didn’t know if my parents were serious or not. Or maybe the machine was broken. I was trying to work out of my trouble, and I decided to make a phone call to my mother, who was all the way across the ocean, in Korea. She picked up the phone telling me that she has no idea how that happened and what she had to do with it. She said that she’ll figure out what happened and call me back as soon as possible. Then, when I picked up my phone, something that triggered my memory from the lecture about Oedipus and Freud came up: we turn to our ‘fathers’ in our troubles. Instead of my mother calling me back, my father, who figured all the problems out and called me back. He explained the situation in a calm manner and told me that it was a problem with the bank and I do not have to worry about anything, as everything would be fixed.
The King was the solution for the Thebes. Barack Obama is the solution for the economy. Ghandi was the solution for the peace. Our fathers are the solutions for our troubles. Even if you try not to think about it too hard, it always ends up with the authority of ‘father’. Sometimes, they don’t do it perfectly, but even when we know that he might not have the best solution, he is the first and maybe the only person we can turn to, for extra help in a trouble. Oedipus, of course, was a sinner and fallacy within himself in the end but, who else could the Thebans choose other than him? Nobody. Our father, are our inevitable solution cores.

No comments:

Post a Comment