Wednesday, September 15, 2010

75 miles, You, and a Bicycle


On September 11th, this past Saturday, two co-workers and I participated in the Montauk We Hope Bike tour which consisted of a 75 mile bike ride from East Setauket to Montauk. The money raised through donations from the riders, families, and local businesses went to helping the homeless families of Long Island. The night before the ride I had a difficult time falling asleep. I was nervous of the physical task at hand. 75 miles on a bicycle going up hill, down hill, and without the assistance of a motorvehicle. Needless to say I hadn't experienced a long distance ride like this before and I was going into this a little wet behind the ears. I fell asleep around 3:30AM and awoke at 5:00AM to load my bike into my car and eat a full breakfast. Even though I was working on an 1 1/2 of sleep and a half a bowl of Cheerios I caught a second wind mixed with a rush of testosterone once I arrived at the starting line. It was just me and the bike and the task at hand. I ensured that my tire pressure was right and that my camelpack was filled and working correctly. A minute before the ride began I vowed to myself that no matter what I would reach the destination even if I caught a flat or my legs cramped up. I would finish what I started. I decided this because I thought to myself this day years back many unfortunate people didn't have the opportunity to finish what they started. Their lives were cut short through an act of pure violence. I cleared my mind and pedalled, and pedalled and pedalled. Every 10 miles we stopped at a rest stop for 5 minutes then continued. Once I reached the rest stop for the 55 mile mark my legs felt like tree trunks and my back became strained from the riding position. I pushed on and remembered that I vowed to myself to finish what I had started. The last ten miles were on an open road and each mile felt like an additional two. I rode on and saw the finish line in the distance. As I crossed it I realized that I no longer would place limitations on what I do. I realized that you have one body and one life to experience and that I had to strive to challenge myself. I recollected the discussion I had a few days before the ride with a friend. He said as he sat on the couch, "Your not gonna be able to do it!" Listen guys, whatever it is that makes you tick whatever it is that you find worthwhile go out and get it. Your only limitations are the ones that you believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment