Friday, September 17, 2010

Late Nite Hamartia

I work late evenings in a broadcasting facility. The topics that come up in discussion vary a great deal from night to night. On an average night we talk about sports, women, future endeavours in the field, and then women again. However tonight we spoke about something completely different. I sat at my work station thinking of a topic to blog about when I rememberd our discussion on Hamartia. I shared with the class that my hamartia was my inability to live in the now. I constantly think about the future and where I want to be and in doing so I fail to appreciate how far I've come and what I've accomplished thus far. Perhaps that started when I was young and all I thought about was being old enough to drive and work. I badly wanted to be a teenager when I was in grade school. When I reached high school I dreamt of living on my own and playing college sports. As I go through college and partake in my full time job I envision myself older working elsewhere and owning a home. Although I feel this is a normal cognitive state I can't help but feel like I do it too often. I know how to let loose but I wish I didn't have to force myself to do so.

I stood up from my workstation and asked a select few what their hamartia was. I got three blank faces followed by a "huhh". I explained that their hamartia is their own personal flaw. A characteristic that hinders you. I explained that in greek mythology every figure suffered from a hamartia. Each person shared their hamartia with me. I asked if I could share their responses with you all and they said that that wouldn't bother them. One friend/co-worker said he fears failing as a parent, while another said that he can't enjoy fully being careless. After we disected our hamartia's further our manager walked in and I couldn't help but ask. He said that his hamartia was socializing. I'd be lying if I said the discussion between all of us wasn't insightful and overall a positive one. We all laughed, respected and learned a lot about one another. I suppose a person's hamartia is best shared with others so that one can fully be aware of his/her flaws. The more we know about a problem or disability the better we can attempt to solve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment