Sunday, September 19, 2010

Right Under Your Nose

According to www.usingenglish.com, the saying "right under your nose" is used if something happens right in front of you, especially if it is surprising or audacious.

Here is an example.

On time, I was walking into the Commuter's Lounge, located in Stony Brook University's Library, in order to study for my Psychology class when I located my friend sitting at a table, in front of his computer, eating sushi. I sat down next to him and started to unpack my things when he said, "Did you see the money on the floor?"

And there it was. Eighteen dollars in bills; a ten, a five, and three ones.
It was just lying there, directly in the path that I took to his table. I asked him if he knew who dropped it and if anyone has seen it yet.

But of course, if the money was still on the floor, obviously no one has claimed it yet. My friend commented that everyone who walked by didn't see the money one the floor, since the first thing that people do when they walk into the Commuter's Lounge is to look for a seat or for someone that they know.

Though the amount was not a large as $50 or $100, it was too large an amount for someone who noticed it to walk past it.

The money turned out to belong to one of our friends, who walked out to grab some lunch with a friend. But the fact that about ten people walked right past the small pile of bills on the floor was just so... Odd.

There have been so many times when something happened right under my nose, and I wouldn't find out about it unless someone else pointed it out.

For Oedipus, I guess we should say it happened right under his covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment