Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hamlet

So I just finished watching the 2-hour film, Hamlet. I chose the Hamlet from 1990 starring Mel Gibson and directed by Franco Zeffirelli. We didn't take Hamlet in high school (we had Macbeth) nor have I watched any other Hamlet movie so I couldn't compare its closeness to the original play. However, I was able to get the plot and how it became a tragedy. Personally, I had a hard time understanding the movie because of the words, phrases, and lines delivered by the characters. It took me a while to adjust to the "Shakespearian language" (although I believe it's the same for similar works during the 16th century where the English language is now considered as Old English) so initially I read the synopsis from Wikipedia while watching the movie to help me understand what was going on.

Hamlet is actually quite good albeit, in my opinion, a weird one where every important character dies at the end (well I guess that's tragedy for you). Furthermore, their cause of death by poison was predictable. However, as we try to create a Hamlet game in class, it makes me to look forward to it as how we will incorporate the spatial aspect of the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment