Thursday, September 16, 2010

As you move into an urban society, does the pleasure principle fade?

In an ideal family, the mother takes the role of the pleasure principle, and the father takes the role of the reality principle. As we learned that the mother usually tells you everything is going to be all right, and comforts you from the outside world; while, the father shows you the evils of the world. I began to think, as you move into more urban areas, the pleasure principle seems to fade and diminish.
The reason for my thinking lies in the strong front that people who live in urban areas put on. It’s not that I’m judgmental, it is just my opinion. I see it more and more when I go into New York City; many who walk around look angry and just give off a bad vibe. Even when I ask someone for direction they say things like “Not my Problem”, or “I don’t know” in an angry tone. This leads me to think that their mother took the role of the reality principle as well as their father, leading them to believe that the world is unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment