Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The First of a many more to come...(identity)

Today, the second day of class theater 216 was pretty interesting. I think that's that is why i took this class to get more technical and explore the world at my fingertips. Anyways, Professor said something really important in class as he interviewed Alex. He said what the first thing you think about when you leave your house? what is your identity? what are you good at? Seriously what AM I good at? It feels like i have no special qualities and most of the time i just try to blend in. Which is probably not going to happen. going back to the first question, i am a very complex person when it comes to the issue of indentity. I am a muslim and there are certain qualities i hold dear to myself like my dignity.

When I walk out of my house everyday i have my religion Islam on my shoulders. As a woman i am the flag bearer of my religion and i am very proud of it. i like the responsibilty i have been given to protect myself from the gaze of men and uphold my dignity. my mother lways says that a women is the ultimate creation of beauty and therefore i do my best to dress modestly even though it may prove to be difficult in 90 degree weather but it's all good. Basically, my identity is my scarf it gives me a reason to suceed and shelters me from harm while it is my choice to wear it. the thing that annoys me is when other people namely other muslims boys blend into to the american way of life and try to hide the fact that deep down inside they have responsibilites to their religion also. Most of the time these boys don't fullfil their responsibilities and get caught up in the wrong crowds with the wrong people. they essentially lose their identity and create one that satisfies others around them. i call these people lost; they need guidance.

aurooj hussain

No comments:

Post a Comment