Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Peripetia: the Reversal in our lives

Peripetia is one of the core terms from Aristotle’s Poetics. I know that I’ve already referred to my relationship with the other core term, Anagnorisis, which is the recognition, with my relationship with my ex-girlfriend, but I found another interesting relation between the term and the relationship. Every time we fought, I would always lose and back up, but when I am really mad, I had this one move that changed everything, and turned things up-side down. I would try to break up with her, and after a while, she would come back to me for forgiveness. I didn’t realize this (which would be another recognition/anagnorisis) until somebody told me that was the way my relationship was.

Then, I guess that’s when catharsis, the pain or pleasure, kicks in. After all the trouble, reversal, and also the recognition, the catharsis would come and please me to let me know that I was the winner. This might not have been the best solution to everything but that’s how this catharsis broke into our relationship. To her, the catharsis of realizing this relationship’s structure would’ve been a painful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment