Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Am I a Gleek?

RIIIIIING.

That's the sound of a school bell I heard across the hallway at 8:00 pm tonight. It's the sign. I stopped whatever I was doing and went to the room where the sound came from. I took a chair and sat comfortably in front of the TV - Glee's first episode of the season was on.

I've been waiting for this episode for the past few days. I even mentioned to someone today that nothing could stop me from watching Glee tonight - not even my half-finished THR project due two days from now. So do these reactions make me a Gleek? Am I having Gleek syndrome?

For those of you who've never heard the word (seriously?), I'm not talking about the formal definition of the word as the "act of forcibly ejecting saliva or other substances from the mouth (in short, spitting)." Gleek is the term fans of Fox's TV Show Glee call themselves.

So what do I like about Glee? Honestly, I'm not so sure myself. It has the most stereotypical high school characters you can ever imagine. There's a lot of teenage angst going on and some really cheesy moments that you'd start to feel embarrassed watching. Sure they perform pretty good song numbers but then what else? I sometimes think that maybe I'm just being swept by the hype, but I also think that there's this charm about it that I can't put my finger on.

So back to my question, am I a Gleek? I don't think so. I don't talk about Glee very often; I don't keep photos or buy any Glee merchandise; I didn't even watch all the episodes of the first season. To me, it's simply an hour away from real life. So now that it's over (for this week at least) it's back to this THR homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment