Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Family Feud and the monster child

Family Feud and the monster child

On our second day of discussion, Professor Baldwin brought up a topic of Oedipus being the monster. In the beginning he would do all the good things, and he has that moral and powerful extrinsic ethos. He is a demigod and a descendent of Cadmus, who fought the dragon, which was the symbolism for the invention of first alphabets. In the end, all the great characters that Oedipus had, which was built by what he was inherited, is washed away by his miserable fate and Creon, the good guy from the beginning, eventually takes over. This seems to relate to my life in a very mere way.
I’m not trying to say that my brother is a bad guy and I am like a complete monster, but when we were younger, I was the hope of the family. I was always smarter, talented, and I would always be better at everything than my brother. My brother had a little problem learning simple math and alphabets, and my mother sometimes got frustrated over it. Yet, as we grew older, he found his ultimate talent in music and singing, and he got all the attention and love, as he triumphantly took over all the awards and now he is in the best music school in Korea. Guess what happened to me, I slacked off, and all the hopes on me drifted away to my brother. I don’t hate him, and I am proud of him, but this just seems bitter that things had to be this way. I grew up and ended up being the monster, which the monstrousness came from destroying my parents’ expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment