Tuesday, September 21, 2010
museums.
So today I was asked when was the last time I had been to a museum was. For a minute I couldn't even remember, when do I ever go to museums? I think that's a problem with our culture today. I live so close to some of the most amazing museums, but I never go and see them. A few years ago I went to the Guggenheim with my cousin and every time we looked at a painting he would ask me what I thought. I was sixteen at the time and just didn't get it. I thought it was just paint on a canvas. So if it was just pixels on my laptop, would it really be different? The difference was he was brought up going to museums with his family and I wasn't. I didn't understand what I was supposed to be looking for. I feel like the same thing happens when you see something on your computer screen. You see the image and can appreciate its beauty, but you won't be able to understand. In person, up close, you can see techniques, textures and experience a painting or exhibit in a museum. There's so much more to learn with a hands-on experience.
Labels:
Allison Sekur
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment