Monday, September 6, 2010

Oedipus Computer problems

When Stony Brook Universities Internet decides not to work, it creates a conflict of interest between myself and my computer. There are times, like today, when the Internet just decides not to cooperate with you and nothing ever loads. Currently, "Everyday" by Dave Matthews Band has been loading on YouTube for the past 20 minutes. When this happens, I tend to find myself yelling at my computer, only to get less cooperation. It is just frustrating, particularly when you are trying to get work done. Sometime I even leave the room, only to come back to the same, stubborn mess.

My problem is similar to that in Oedipus Rex, in the scene where Oedipus is having a conflict with Creon, when Creon confronts Oedipus for killing the previous king. They bicker back and forth, much like me yelling at my computer, and nothing really ever gets solved. Oedipus, like my computer, is stubborn and does not admit to his wrong doings. At the same time, Creon, like myself, knows that this problem needs to be fixed immediately so things can go back to normal.

Fortunately, my situation is different then that in Oedipus in that no one is killed, but they do relate to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment