Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Random ramblings on identity

First I have to say I am definitely not your typical russian woman. I actually try to avoid russian people, I've had quite a lot of bad experiences and I guess now I just stay away. On the other hand I think that if someone were to take my mother and subtract 20 some odd years you'd have me. We have the same personality, same likes and dislikes (down to our taste in wine). Eventually I want to go into the same career field so yeah... we even have the same luck with men.. bad. Oh yes, lucky us. Oh and apparently we look almost identical. I don't see it but since everyone else does I guess I should just stop fighting it. And we both butt heads with her mother-my grandmother. We even have some of the same friends! Seriously, if you subtracted ~20 years from her you'd have me + 3 or so inches. That's okay though, we're extremely close and we get along quite well... even though we are practically the same person. The professor was talking about how someone had a "pink collar" job at some point, my mother never went to college and she's been (and currently is) a doctor... TWICE. She's an MD and a DO... without college. My grandmother was a chemist and my grandfather was an engineer for the russian space agency. My brother's father is a doctor, his sister is a doctor, and some one else in that family is a doctor... the other brother works in the diamond district. Guess what I'll be... medical school here I come. If not, I'll be disowned I guess its good that now I actually want to be a doctor. It would have really been bad if I didn't actually want this.

- Yekaterina Okouneva

No comments:

Post a Comment