Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Anagnorisis and relationships

I was in a relationship few years ago, which people referred to the word “whipped”. But the recognition did not come until a long time later, just like Oedipus, who had his anagnorisis/recognition of his fate until later. I assume that I was too full of the pleasure principle, where I did not open my eyes to the reality, which the other people are seeing. When, recognition about how my relationship was happened, I was put on a crossroad of choices. Oedipus chooses to stab out his eyes and leave the city, and like Oedipus, I left the relationship.
Not only the relationships but anagnorisis seems to be everywhere in our lives. When I signed up for my psychology class, the recognition of mistake hit me after my first midterm. I was also put on a crossroad, to pass without a credit or to try harder in next three exams. I chose to stay. In the end I regretted staying, because I got my first F ever. I think when a dilemma hits you in anagnorisis, leaving the issue seems to be a more logical idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment