Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The biggest binarism

Teenagers are not child or adult. They are in between the binary. Beach is not ocean or land. It is in between the binary boundary. Grey is not black or white, but it’s in between the binary. Everything seems to have a middle ground. Yet I think the clearest one in any of the stories or plays you read is “good” and “bad”. If you ask me whether or not Lady Macbeth was a bad character, the answer would be very simple. Of course she’s bad. Same goes with Macbeth and any other “bad guys” from any stories. I always believed in this idea, that a character is always bad or good.
Yet, as we studied more dynamic characters such as Oedipus, I realized that this isn’t always true. Oedipus married his mother and killed his father, but is he a bad guy? I don’t think anybody could possibly say that. He tries to save his country and he knows what’s right and wrong. We just see many major flaws in him. But that doesn’t make him a good guy either. We also talked about this idea of death drive: Obama is the alpha male, but he smokes and moves his way to death. It is that death drive, or the flaw that makes a person confusing. If he was completely full of fallacy, then it’s easy to judge him as a bad guy. Yet, he’s filled with a lot of good qualities, and one major fallacy: fate.
I guess everybody is like that. There is no complete evil or complete good. I know that I’m supposed to love myself, but I can’t say that I am a good guy either. I do love my family, I care about what’s moral and what’s not moral and all. But, I’m so full of flaws: I’ve broken some laws before, I drink, I’ve cheated on my girlfriend before and all. I mean, the only person that we could call “good” in the most complete way is God, since I can’t even look at myself in a good way. I guess all middle ground words, between the good and bad happen because of the “flaws” that you have from each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment