Tuesday, September 21, 2010

cliches

Many people look down upon cliches. But I respect them. They are cliches for a reason and in almost any scenario, you can use one. It's a saying that everyone can understand and relate to. Some well known cliches are "every cloud comes with a silver lining","an apple a day keeps the doctor away" (although I am allergic to apples so that would have the opposite effect), "its not about the finish line its about the journey", and so on and so forth.
Writing teachers have all shunned these cliches. It's the easy way out because it's so accessible and easy to understand. Cliches don't require much thought and they are repetitive and not creative. I agree with the need to invent as much as I agree with the honesty of cliches. I suppose my parents influenced me in this aspect, I grew up listening to their words of advise or lectures in the form of quotations, logical reasoning, philosophy, and superstitions. I blame them for my thinking too much into little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment