I had the honor and luck of knowing my great grandparents. In fact, my grandparents and great grandparents practically raised me as a child. It's been so many years now yet I can still remember so much about them. Their habits, our routines, and the way they, my great grandparents interacted with one another.
My great grandfather had always been my hero. Not just for being the most fair, loyal, unbiased, and honest man I know but also for being the best great grandfather I think anyone could have. He passed away around when I was 6 but I still remember everything about him. I remember his subtle smell of cigarettes. I remember the blue terry robe he'd always throw on when he was watching his Chicago Bulls and Knicks games back in the day. He was a basketball player when he was back in highschool so he'd watch basketball games after dinner religiously. He was also the person who encouraged my interest in the arts while everyone else in my family was shoving math and science down my throat.
I still remember every afternoon right after lunch, he would set up a little painting station for me on the coffee table in the living room. It was right infront of the couch where he would take his naps. I would paint until he woke and when he did we would clean up and he would hang my newest pieces up on the walls. He was so proud of me and even at that age I could feel it. I'm sad that lung cancer was what stole him from me but glad that I got 6 years in before it.
I still think about him a lot especially now that I'm pursuing the arts but I wonder and hope that he can hear my thoughts and my gratitude. And know that I'm missing him and my great grandmother right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment