Thursday, September 16, 2010

lack of sight.

I'm very new to this, so this might take some time to elaborate. I was not here for the Oedipus meeting, but from high school and some further reading now, i've learned many things that people in modern day pursue now. It's called blindness, lack of sight- and no it doesn't mean you need to get glasses. This was a motif in the story, and is also a motif in life. People are blind to the world and people around them. It may be innocent or on purpose but it hurts the people who are closest to you first.

Oedipus didn't know that he was marrying his mother and killed his father. His father Lasius was blind to the fact that his plan might not have gone how he wanted. Thebes was blind that Lasius threw away his own son. I for one have many incidents where I was a part of this. For me, I was blind to the fact that i've always been in good hands or that I always have a place to go. I have people that I can trust. Reading these passages again make me realize that people aren't just blind to bad things, but good as well. There were many times where i saw instances where people didn't realize how distasteful they were being, but at the same time everyone around them were horrified. People react to different things. The world is full of ignorant people.


No comments:

Post a Comment