Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Daddy?

So after walking laps around my neighborhood in Queens, re-reading the play, browsing the world wide web, and even reading other people's blogs on this site (which they have made really good connections that I wouldn't even be able to think of), I felt like giving up because nothing had inspired me to write a blog on Oedipus Rex. I was unsure of what I had to do and couldn't make any connections to the play. I got so nervous as Tuesday approached because I was worried that I would not be able to complete my first homework assignment. Thankfully today, on my way back to stony, I remembered an example that was said in class to help us with our assignment: ramble on about your boyfriend/girlfriend. Ding! *idea light pops* So here it goes... :)

In the play, Oedipus marries Jocasta without being aware that it was actually his mother that he vowed to spend his whole life together with. I remember my high school english teacher saying that we are usually attracted to those who resemble our mother or father. I laughed at that silly theory. But I also did not have a boyfriend at the time. Hearing that idea again in college while currently with someone now, I think I beg to differ with my old high school self. The more I think about it, the more it scares me. My dad has a bad temper, is quite stubborn and extremely protective. He is very loving though and cares a lot about his close ones, which probably influences his overprotective trait. And what do you know? So is my boyfriend. Their temper is at the exact same level and so is their overprotectiveness of me. Sometimes I feel like my dad's the one telling me not to do something or to do something else but it's actually my boyfriend that is the one that is doing so.

I denied this theory and thought it was absurd, but now I am giving it a second thought. Even though some are not willing or to scared to accept this idea, I believe it might be true to an extent. Or maybe it's just a coincidence? Who knows. But whether it's true or false, imagining my boyfriend as my dad is still quite disturbing and I don't want to have that picture in my head.

-Nancy Chantanapokul

No comments:

Post a Comment