It is good that I know what my tragic flaw is; my trust on self-discipline. Oedipus didn’t really know his tragic flaw, his arrogance, and he falls down tragically. Maybe, if I didn’t see this coming I would’ve been more miserable but when this haircut happened to me, I was less terrified than I thought I’d be. Here is how the story goes, I made a bet with my friend for this haircut last year, and I lost. It was as simple as that. The bet, of course was related to my self-disciplinary actions. And, yes, tragic flaws are supposed to fail me like this. I thought I got over this tragic flaw of lack of self-discipline, but I guess I didn’t.
Oedipus believed that he went around his fate, which is also a flaw of him, but the fate was always waiting there for him, and took him down. I believed that my self-discipline was actually trustworthy, but it was waiting for me, and my hamartia took me down. You might be able to make efforts to hide, and run away from your tragic flaws, but in the end, it seems like something that you can’t change, or fix.
You might become better materially. You might be richer, but the money would be your flaw, and you’ll be splendid and luxurious. You might become healthier, but you will ruin your health trusting and relying too much on it. This belief, which is the tragic flaw from trust, seems to come from something that you trust about yourself. That’s why you usually don’t see the consequences coming, and that is what makes it more tragic.
No comments:
Post a Comment