Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Great grandma

Since I was just talking about my great grandfather, I think it only fair to share how amazing my great grandmother was. I got to spend 12 amazing years with her before she was taken by stomach cancer. She was the one who probably slept with a spatula under her pillow.

here was how our conversations would go:
m: Hi gma, how are you doing
gma: Hello, I'm fine did you eat yet?
m: yup
gma: what'd you have?
m: uh, spaghetti
gma: did your parents eat yet?
m: yup
gma: what they eat?
m: uh.. spaghetti?
gma: are you coming over next week?
m: yup
gma: what do you wanna eat? I'll make it for you
m: anything
gma: how's school
m: good
gma: dress warmly

etc. etc.

That would always be the start of all our conversations. But as much as I like to joke about how much food was a part of her life. It is not nearly as much as how much I miss her cooking now. She was known in my family, both my mom side and dad side of how amazing of a chef she was. She was caring sometimes a bit smothering but that's what grandparents do and honestly, they're the only ones who can smother you with love and get away with it. She was short and a little chubby, she had the short curly permed hair that almost all Asian grandparents have, and she was beautiful. The kind of face you know was a head turner when she was at her peak. I used to think I was cheated out of a normal youth being brought up by my grandparents as opposed to my working parents but as I get older, I just realize more and more how lucky I was to have had three generations of love and affection placed on me. I was far from spoiled, my mother definitely made sure of that, but in this sense I was spoiled rotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment