Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Power of Music
Art has power. It delivers messages to people and often contribute to changing the world. I love reggae music. Even though reggae rhythm is easy and danceable, lyrics of reggae music contain lots of heavy political issues. In my point of view, arts should be able to reflect people’s opinion and to have the power to make a difference in our society. In this regard, I think reggae performs its social function well. Reggae music started to develop when Jamaica was in the political turmoil. This historical background enabled reggae to contain lots of references toward politics such as anti-colonialism, anti-racism, and anti-capitalism. My favorite reggae lyrics are Bob Marley’s “Them Belly Full.” “Cost of living gets so high; now them belly full; but we hungry; now the weak must get strong.” When I listen to this song, I can feel the majority Jamaican low class’s anger towards upper class. As a result of Marley’s political effort, he finally made Jamaica’s prime minister and an opposition party’s president who were in a serious conflict become reconciled on his stage in 1978. This political event has a big meaning to me because this event proved that music can have an influence on our society. Therefore, reggae music’s social power is one of the reasons why I can trust the power of art.
Labels:
Taeyoung Ahn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment