Sunday, September 5, 2010

A take on a line from Oedipus

I decided to tackle the Oedipus play this morning. After an honest 3 or 4 pages I realized that I wasn't getting the full effect of the characters and their words. I found a BBC production that was uploaded on Youtube.com and gave it a go. Wow! I found the acting amusing and the play took a whole new life. The characters demanded attention and their gestures and facial expressions helped me in the translation of old english. In this blog entry I decided to share a line which was said by the blind man that had the ability to forsee the future. I believe they called him a prophecy. After a heated battle of words with Oedipus he said while kneeling down, "You snear at my blindness. You have eyes but you can not see your own corruption" It might of been how the actor said it but I found this to be one of the best lines in the scene. I felt it held a powerful underlying meaning. It's unfortunate but how often in society do we look at another person and point out a flaw or pass judgement? In society people fail to think before they speak and in doing so say harmful and crude things about one another. Perhaps we say negative things about one another because in turn we feel we have the right to pass judgement on someone because we dont suffer from their handicap or misfortune. It just struck a chord with me. I'd be naive to say I will never pass judgment on someone in the future but hopefully I will be more aware of when I am doing so. Bob Marley once said in a song, "So while you point your fingers someone else is judging you" Take care everyone see you in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment