Monday, September 20, 2010

Wage Gap Between The Sexes "Rant"

How does this make any kind of sense? How does a difference in "equipment" or a quarter of a chromosome (women are XX and men are XY) make it okay for a woman to earn less than a man in the same field?

I honestly believe this wage gap will never close. Since the government doesn't regulate all wages then it's impossible to make sure each and every business has equal wages for both sexes. The employer could always claim that man A does something woman A did not or the man worked over time or whatever! The employer could come up with any excuse not to dish out more money. No one wants to dish out more money and that's understandable but equalizing the wages should at least be taken into account.

I took a class last semester and one of the topics that was brought up was the wage gap and women having children. Yes obviously women have children and time off is appreciated but a lot of jobs don't offer it and some end up firing the woman anyway! My mother was doing her residency when she was pregnant with my brother and she worked right up until she delivered then she took off her vacation days and went right back to work! She wasn't offered maternity leave in a hospital. I've heard some companies pay women less because they assume the woman will get pregnant at one point and they will have to hire a replacement. Oh poor them! How did they think they got there? Nobody dropped them out of the sky. And I'm sorry just because I'm female doesn't mean I going to get pregnant in the near future and it's rude to just assume that.

I understand if there's a difference in education or experience but a man and a woman do the same job I think they should get paid the same wage. Most women with families that work have to go home to a "second shift" anyway and I read somewhere that women generally reach for higher paying jobs, go further in college and get professional degrees more often then men. Not to knock down men, you guys are great (most of you anyway) but the world is changing. Inflation is horrible and the cost of living is crazy, especially here.

My mother is a MD/DO officially. That means she went to medical school twice (most people obviously do not do that) and she is still paid less then a man. That's sad. I love my mother and God knows how the health care field will be when I finally get out of medical school and fellowship and what not. With the health care reform I doubt it'll be pretty.

This is definitely a rant and I'll continue it later. Off to class... The feminist side of me is definitely coming out with a vengeance. My poor boyfriend, he's going to hear about this tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment