Sunday, September 19, 2010

Daddy

The picture of the dad holding his child with one hand, and holding a cigar on the other. In the picture, it looks like that baby is his first baby, and the daddy doesn't know what to do with his baby. Nobody knows how to be a parent. There is nobody that can teach you how to be a parent. Most people just choose their parents to be their role models, follow whatever their parents did with them. However, what if some who grew up in a single family? Where do they get their examples of being parents? Nowhere. If I have a baby now, I wouldn't what to do with his either, just like the daddy in the picture. Not that I don't have a dad. It is just simply because my dad is not part of my childhood memory. He left me and my mom to come to America when I was four. We reunion when I was fifteen. He missed most parts of my life so far, and we are still catching up now. I know he loves me very much, and I love him too. At the end, we are still a family. But the feeling is not even close to the feeling I have for my mom who raised me single-handedly. It is so natural for me to call my mom, "Mom." But it is so hard for me at the beginning to call my dad, "Dad." I am still getting used after almost seven years since the reunion, and we don't get to see each other much. For last several years, he worked in Missouri, and I rarely stayed home. And we rarely call each other, but our numbers are still under the same T-Mobile family plan under my name. Role model for being a dad? I don't know if I have one. But surely my dad can help to be a role model of how to be a good grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment