Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Facades.

I've decided to base this identity project around facades. Masks that the common nuclear family put on for photos to show us, the viewer, that they are "normal". But what really was going on when that picture was taken?


This is a picture of my maternal grandmother at age 6. Obviously done by a professional photographer. I keep picturing my great grandmother and the photographer behind the camera making some obnoxiously corny sounds maybe with a stuffed animal or two trying to get her to smile. I think my grandmother's smile is a bit forced, maybe she was sick that day. Maybe she got yelled at in the car, or spilled some ice cream on her shoes. My point is, what can we really tell from a picture? Or are we all putting on a face so that when people see these pictures they think we're better off than we actually are?



This is a picture of me when I was about four years old from down the shore. I was sooooo sick when this was taken! I actually had double pneumonia and I had just gotten yelled at by my mom a few minutes earlier for swiping some frosting off my cousin's birthday cake with my finger. My uncle Charlie was trying to cheer me up by taking some pictures of me. I'm not quite sure why I have dolls either, I really hated dolls.

I know you're thinking "why didn't she do anything with picture"? I haven't gotten to that step yet. For all my pictures I want to make them very Andy-Warhol 60s trippy-ish. The 60s were a pretty big defining decade for my family; the war, babies, love, sex, drugs, music, morals (or lack there of), everything. Stay tuned, things are gonna get pretty wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment