Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fundraiser.


The past week I have been so busy planning this fundraiser with my best friend Allen. We've decided to throw a fundraiser for all the high schools in the area, for their art programs. Lately there have been so many cuts, to the point where they only have one chorus and MAYBE a band class. THAT'S RIDICULOUS! Why should a kid who doesn't care about school at all get to go to an amazing college simply because he plays football? We all know he slept in class, and that he's probably going to get physically hurt while playing college ball that he'll never make it to the NFL anyway! Ugh.

Allen and I are both theatre majors. I personally started doing theatre when I was 13, I was doing mostly community theatre at the time since my then junior high and high school didn't really have any good programs going on. When I moved to a different town before my junior year of high school, I was fortunate enough to go into a high school that did 5 shows a year, had 3 different bands, an a cappella group, 2 choruses, and any other arts related extra curriculars you could think of. Why should musicians and actors and artists have to suffer in high school? That is the time that young adults start to figure out what they are good at and what they want to do with their lives!

Our fundraiser already has some attention from news stations, the Patchogue Theatre is most likely going to let us use the space, and we have a very important meeting with the superintendant of the district on Wednesday to discuss details further. Once I have more details I'll fill you guys in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment