Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Identity..who am I?

Who am I? This is a question that be asked since we were born. It is our nature to be curious. Yet, there is not always an answer for every question. I am a Chinese. I was born in Hong Kong, grow up in Hong Kong. My parents are from FuJian, a province on the Southeast coast of China. They spoke a different Chinese dialect. I immigrant to USA when I was Fourteen. I have already been in the USA for almost eight years. Who should I consider myself as? A Hong Konger, a FuJianese, an Chinese-American or an American. Some people told me that I should be considered as a FuJianese because there is where my parents came from. Yet, I do not agree with them. I am not familiar with that place at all. I only been through that place only a few week in my entire life. I never spent more than a week in that province. I never knew how to speak their local dialect. How would they consider me as a FuJianese? I do not get it. On the other hand, I have a great passion to identify myself as a Hong Konger. It is because it is a place where I was born, where I grew. I am familiar with their culture and environment. Cantonese is my first language. Is not that make me a Hong Konger? Yet, on the other hand, that does not make whole lot of sense neither. As the fact that I am already become a citizen of the United State of American. I am American now. Oh, I should say a Chinese-American.

Well. Indeed, it is a real problem for me when people ask me who am I and where do I come from. Sometime, I really do not know how to answer them. Sometime I do not understand why people have to distinguish themselves as who they are and where they are from. Is not we all human being? Yet, I think there are many people may be agree with me.
May be next time when people ask me who I am I should say "I am a Chinese-American. I was born in Hong kong and my parents are from FuJian in Mainland China."

No comments:

Post a Comment