When I think about my great grandparents, I think about love. My goal in love is to have what they had. If you've ever seen the movie "Up", their love is similar to the love that was depicted in that movie.
My great grandfather apparently had an arranged marriage back in China before the war. But after the war the whole family separated and he ended up on his way to America. My great grandmother was from a very prestigious family, her father being some kind of governor at the time, but because of the war, she was also separated from her family and on her way to America. The brief pieces of the story that I have been told add up to a very romantic scene in my head. They met each other on the journey and fell in love. So of course I see them catching each others eyes while time stops and everyone around them is a blur while they are the only two in focus.
The sad thing about arranged marriages is that many times there is no love. My great grandfather had a child and wife back in China but in ways unknown ended up marrying my great grandma in America. From what I can remember, they loved each other so much. At 80 they would still sit together late at night and just immerse themselves into deep conversation. They knew all of each others pet peeves and habits, they would do something before the other one could even blink, they took care of each other wholeheartedly. And from asking around, they've been like this the whole probably 60+ years they were married. Yes, I want an education, and yes I want a good career, but honestly, I would love to have a big family, find my soul mate, and make sure my kids get all the attention they need. Damn you Disney for nurturing me into wanting such a sugarcoated happy ending.
No comments:
Post a Comment