Sunday, September 19, 2010

Significant others. vs parents

I don't understand why people place so much importance on relationships. I have a boyfriend of just over 2 years, and i love him, he's my best friend and although we've hit some really rough patches, i don't regret anything. However, My mother seems to be horrified since she thinks I'm going to just popping out babies and settling down to a life with someone she believes is not good enough for her "one and only baby girl." His name last name is Rodriguez, and he's half Puerto Rican and half Italian. You really wouldn't know by looking at him since he's fair-skinned with green eyes and dirty blonde hair. However, this doesn't stop my mother from saying how disappointed she is because he isn't Russian or Jewish. I remember the first time i told her about him she pictured Rodriguez as a du-rag wearing, jeans sagging to the ankles type of thing. Don't get me wrong, my mother isn't a racist she's just from the old school, an immigrant from Russia that can't fathom marrying outside of our Russain-Jewish background. Even though me and my boyfriend have been together for quite some time, it doesn't mean Im suddenly going to sit down and start creating such a permanent life. I'm only 19 years old. Yet this all seems to fall on deaf ears. It's not just me though, i know so very many kids who are first generation American like me whose parents are exactly the same way. My friend Keith is a first generation American whose parents are from the Philippines, and to the everlasting torment of his parents he avoids all Asian-related girls like the plague. We're all still so young, with our whole lives ahead of us that i think they just don't understand that in this culture people don't usually marry so young anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment