
Due to this class being one of "visual interpretation," I've been thinking more prominently than ever about the meanings of images and pictures I've been seeing, be it in magazines, TV ads, logos, and anything else symbolic and perceivable. A thought struck me in such a way to make me realize that I'd never taken this concept into consideration before: can't album art for CDs and even records be considered its own field of art?
Think about it-- they summarize what an album is about without being audible. They can make or break a band's reputation, and many, many sales rely subconsciously, yet heavily on how prestigious that certain album will look in someone's collection. And if that particular album gathers enough popularity, it can essentially be recognized as its own piece to be admired and very well revered as a visual work.

Often times, these album artists borrow from other genres (or even snatch ideas directly from famous works), but can they be classified with the minimalists, post-modernists, and the graphic designers? I'd say no; even if an album cover looks like it could be hanging in a museum next to Mondrian, it was nonetheless still conceived in the mind of the designer as a way to engrave a theme into the music it represents and aid in its distribution. In my personal opinion, it's absolutely not the appearance that classifies art, but it is the supposed motive in creating it to begin with.
No comments:
Post a Comment